A history of ancient Assyria (Assyrians) from its rise to fall including Nineveh, its kings, cities, laws and contributions to civilization

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

Part Four

Part Five

Part Six

Part Seven

Part Eight

Part Nine

Part Ten

Part Eleven

Part Twelve

Part Thirteen

Part Fourteen

Part Fifteen

Part Sixteen

Additional Topics

Ashurbanipal

Tiglathpileser

Nineveh

Fall of Assyria

Downloadable Assyrian Text

Map of Assyrian Empire

assyrianmap.jpg (186109 bytes)

Care to express an opinion on a current or past historical event?

Need to ask a question from our many visitors?

Just visit our Forum and leave your message.

Forum

Weekly Poll

Please Help Keep Us On the Web.

We are a Non-Profit Organization and the cost of continuing is becoming more than we can handle.  Therefore, we are asking you to please donate anything you can to help keep us on the web.

Please Help Click Here

History Of The Babylonians And Assyrians

 

Contributed By:
John A. Brinkman and R. A. Guisepi

 

 

 

Nineveh (ancient Ninua), ancient city, capital of the Assyrian Empire at its height (about 705-612 BC), on the Tigris River in northern Iraq, opposite the modern city of Mosul (Al Mawºil). Today, its location is marked by two large mounds, Kuyunjik and Nebi Yunus, and the remains of the city walls (about 12 km/7.5 mi in circumference). Situated at the confluence of the Tigris and Khosr, Nineveh was an important junction for commercial routes crossing the Tigris. It was first settled in Neolithic times before 6000 BC and was inhabited almost without a break until after AD 1500.

In the 2nd and 3rd millennia BC Nineveh was known primarily as a religious center. The healing powers of its statue of the goddess Ishtar were renowned as far away as Egypt. The Assyrian king Sargon II (reigned 722-705 BC) is credited with the founding of a library at Nineveh. Sennacherib (reigned 705-681 BC) moved the capital of the empire from Calah (now Nimrud) to Nineveh shortly after he came to the throne. The ancient city was then laid out anew with broad boulevards, wide squares, parks and gardens, and a magnificent edifice of more than 80 rooms called the Palace Without a Rival. The city’s area was expanded to about 730 hectares (about 1800 acres), and massive defensive walls were added. Drinking water for the inhabitants was brought in from some 50 km (more than 30 mi) away by a system of canals and aqueducts. During the reign of Ashurbanipal the library was enriched by his scribes with systematically collected scholarly and literary texts and works on magic.

The sack of the city by the Babylonians and Medes in 612 BC effectively put an end to the Assyrian Empire; and, although some of its sections were later inhabited, Nineveh never regained its former importance.

Nineveh was the oldest and most populous city of the ancient Assyrian Empire, situated on the east bank of the Tigris opposite modern Mosul (in Iraq ). From time immemorial, roads from the foothills of Kurdistan debouched there, and a tributary of the Tigris, the Khawsar River, added to the value of the fertile agricultural and pastoral lands in the district.The first person to survey and map Nineveh was the archaeologist Claudius J. Rich in 1820, a work later completed by Felix Jones and published by him in 1854. Excavations have been undertaken intermittently since that period by many persons. A.H. (later Sir Henry) Layard during 1845-51 discovered the palace of Sennacherib and took back to England an unrivalled collection of stone bas-reliefs together with thousands of tablets inscribed in cuneiform from the great library of Ashurbanipal. Hormuzd Rassam continued the work in 1852. During 1929-32 R. Campbell Thompson excavated the temple of Nabu (Nebo) on behalf of the British Museum and discovered the site of the palace of Ashurnasirpal II . In 1931-32, together with M.E.L. (later Sir Max) Mallowan, Thompson for the first time dug a shaft from the top of the Quyunjik (Acropolis), 90 feet (30 meters) above the level of the plain, down through strata of accumulated debris of earlier cultures to virgin soil. It was then proved that more than four-fifths of this great accumulation is prehistoric.

History

The first settlement, a small Neolithic hamlet, was probably founded not later than the 7th millennium BC. Hassuna-Samarra' and Tall Halaf painted pottery of the subsequent Early Chalcolithic phases, characteristic of the north, was succeeded by gray wares such as occur westward in the Jabal Sinjar. Farmers during the 4th millennium used clay sickles of a type found in the Ubaid Period, and these imply contact with the south.

One of the most remarkable discoveries that Mallowan and Thompson made in the prehistoric strata consisted of roughly made, beveled bowls, overturned in the soil and filled with vegetable matter. These may have been intended as magical offerings to expel evil spirits from houses. Their typology conforms exactly to that of Uruk (Erech) pottery, widespread throughout the Tigris-Euphrates Valley in the late 4th millennium. In these levels also large metal vases occur, again characteristic of southern Babylonia , and technologically this district of the Tigris had much in common with the cities of the lower Euphrates Valley at this period. This similarity is of particular interest because it indicates that some time before 3000 BC a period of economic prosperity had united the commercial interests of north and south; later these two civilizations diverged widely.

A little before and after 3000 BC, unpainted Ninevite pottery was similar to that used at Sumerian sites; to approximately the same period belongs a series of attractively painted and incised ware known as Ninevite V, which is a home product distinct from that of the south. Beads found in these strata may be dated c. 2900 BC.

The most remarkable object of the 3rd millennium BC is a realistic bronze head--life-size, cast, and chased--of a bearded monarch. This, the finest piece of metal sculpture ever recovered from Mesopotamia , may represent the famous king Sargon of Akkad (c. 2334-c. 2279 BC). This bronze head, however (now in the Iraq Museum, Baghdad), because of its brilliant technique and elaborately modeled features, is thought by some authorities to belong to a rather later stage of the Akkadian Period (c. 2334-c. 2154 BC); if so, the head might represent King Naram-Sin (c. 2254-c. 2218 BC). The hypothesis for the earlier period seems preferable, for metal work advanced more rapidly in style in Mesopotamia at that period than did stone sculpture, and it is known from inscriptions that Sargon's second son, Manishtusu, had built the temple of E-Mashmash at Nineveh by virtue of being the "son of Sargon"; thus a model of the founder of the dynasty would have been appropriately placed there.

Surprisingly, there is no large body of evidence to show that Assyrian monarchs built at all extensively in Nineveh during the 2nd millennium BC. Later monarchs whose inscriptions have appeared on the Acropolis include Shalmaneser I and Tiglath-pileser I, both of whom were active builders in Ashur; the former had founded Calah ( Nimrud ). Nineveh had to wait for the neo-Assyrians, particularly from the time of Ashurnasirpal II (ruled 883-859 BC) onward, for a considerable architectural expansion. Thereafter successive monarchs kept in repair and founded new palaces, temples to Sin, Nergal, Nanna, Shamash, Ishtar, and Nabu (Nebo). Unfortunately, severe depredations have left few remains of these edifices.

It was Sennacherib who made Nineveh a truly magnificent city (c. 700 BC). He laid out fresh streets and squares and built within it the famous "palace without a rival," the plan of which has been mostly recovered and has overall dimensions of about 600 by 630 feet. It comprised at least 80 rooms, of which many were lined with sculpture. A large part of the famous "K" collection of tablets was found there (see below); some of the principal doorways were flanked by human-headed bulls. At this time the total area of Nineveh comprised about 1,800 acres (700 hectares), and 15 great gates penetrated its walls. An elaborate system of 18 canals brought water from the hills to Nineveh, and several sections of a magnificently constructed aqueduct erected by the same monarch were discovered at Jerwan, about 25 miles (40 kilometers) distant.

His successor Esarhaddon built an arsenal in the Nabi Yunus mound, south of Quyunjik, and either he or his successor set up statues of the pharaoh Taharqa (Tarku) at its entrance as trophies to celebrate the conquest of Egypt . These were discovered by Fuad Safar and Muhammad 'Ali Mustafa on behalf of the Iraqi Department of Antiquities in 1954.Ashurbanipal later in the 7th century BC constructed a new palace at the northwest end of the Acropolis. He also founded the great library and ordered his scribes to collect and copy ancient texts throughout the country. The "K" collection included more than 20,000 tablets or fragments of tablets and incorporated the ancient lore of Mesopotamia . The subjects are literary, religious, and administrative, and a great many tablets are in the form of letters. Branches of learning represented include mathematics, botany, chemistry, and lexicology. The library contains a mass of information about the ancient world and will exercise scholars for generations to come.

Fourteen years after the death of Ashurbanipal, however, Nineveh suffered a defeat from which it never recovered. Extensive traces of ash, representing the sack of the city by Babylonians, Scythians, and Medes in 612 BC, have been found in many parts of the Acropolis. After 612 BC the city ceased to be important, although there are some Seleucid and Greek remains. Xenophon in the Anabasis recorded the name of the city as Mespila. In the 13th century AD the city seems to have enjoyed some prosperity under the atabegs of Mosul . Subsequently, houses continued to be inhabited at least as late as the 16th century AD. In these later levels imitations of Chinese wares have been found.

Outline of the city.

From the ruins it has been established that the perimeter of the great Assyrian city wall was about 7.5 miles (12 km) long and in places up to 148 feet (45 m) wide; there was also a great unfinished outer rampart, protected by a moat, and the Khawsar River flowed through the centre of the city to join the Tigris on the western side of it.

The 15 great gates that intersected the Acropolis walls were built partly of mud brick and partly of stone. The long eastern sector, about 3 miles (5 km), contained six gates; the southern sector, 2,624 feet (800 m), contained only one, the Ashur Gate; the western sector, about 2.5 miles (4 km), had five gates; the northern sector, about 1.2 miles (1.9 km), three gates, Adad, Nergal, and Sin. Several of these entrances are known to have been faced with stone colossi (lamassu). In the Nergal Gate two winged stone bulls, attributable to Sennacherib, have been reinstalled: a site museum has been erected adjacent to it by the Iraqi Department of Antiquities. The Adad Gate contained many inscribed tiles, and what may prove to be the Sin Gate contained a corridor that led through an arched doorway into a ramp or stairwell giving access to the battlements.

Most impressive was the Shamash Gate, which has been thoroughly excavated by Tariq Madhloum on behalf of the Iraqi Department of Antiquities. It was found to have been approached across two moats and a watercourse by a series of bridges in which the arches were cut out of the natural conglomerate. The wall was faced with limestone and surmounted by a crenellated parapet, behind which ran a defense causeway. The structure was constructed of mud as well as burnt bricks, which bore the stamp of Sennacherib. There was an entrance 14.8 feet (4.5 m) wide in the centre of a long, projecting bastion, which was further strengthened by six towers. Crudely incised stone slabs on the inner side of the gateway depicted the burning of a tower; it is possible that these carvings represented the fall of Nineveh and are post-Assyrian. The internal plan of the gate includes six great chambers lined with uncarved orthostats (upright slabs), which were discovered by Layard and Rassam.

Archaeologists also have been active within the Quyunjik (Acropolis). Since 1966 restoration has proceeded on the throne room of Sennacherib's palace and some of the adjoining chambers. All the entrances to the two main chambers were found flanked by winged bull colossi and a series of orthostats not recorded by any of the 19th-century excavators has been recovered. One such slab illustrates a foreign city, heavily defended by towers, surrendering to the Assyrian army. Adjoining the throne room is a stone-paved bathroom, and the great antehall contained no fewer than 40 carved orthostats. The subjects represented include Sennacherib's campaigns against mountain-dwelling peoples, besieged cities, and units of the Assyrian army.

 

 


 


 

Main Page

International History Project